Sunday, February 29, 2004

Malaysian Night practices are now on crazy mode. Danced for almost 9 hours straight on Saturday, with what I would hardly call breaks in between. Then rushed back to Linstead where Ruby's birthday party was already warming up in the bar. Slumped in the B Landing corridor eating dinner cooked by the Singaporeans (really grateful, guys!). Then got dressed up for the continuation of Ruby's party at Opium (bar-pub-caberet as Darren pointed out). Got Amar to come down and veto my outfit - didn't get the green light for my light blue cotton MNG dress. Laid my entire wardrobe out before Amar. Amar not a very encouraging person when he suggested I take my stuff and match it with Fong May's. Defied Amar by putting on pink halter and denim short skirt. Of course regretted this totally when stepped out into subzero weather (plus denim skirt has this nasty habit of not staying put). Opium has really great chinesy ambience - but seriously... the old photos of Chinese families or just maybe the annual gathering of all those of Sino origin in London was really OTT (my first true Brit phrase which stands for 'over the top')! Dance floor was over crowded. I doubt I was dancing... perhaps just being pushed along by the particles in the human jello. Was already exhausted after such a long day of rehearsals that I was whining at 2am to go home. We made it home - after a pit stop at McDs, trying to find a night bus, losing half of the group and then rejoining at the bus stop, gossiping or trying to gossip on the bus - and it was almost 4am by the time I went to bed.
This morning woke up at 10, rushed to Sherfield building to pass ribbons and stuff to the Suraya (Mnite dance manager and first person on my list of people not to piss off), then rushed to church and back. It was moving day for Kristina, and I watched as half my room slowly became blank, empty, nothingness - cold and foreign like a hotel room. Kristina gave me a lovely palm tree (ok, palm plant because it's only about 8cm tall) to fill in the big gaping hole left by her absence. After she left I complained to Lionel about being lonely and not having breakfast or lunch when I realised I was supposed to be at rehearsals again. So back again... dance, dance, dance for 6 hours. Manage to pull everything off rather clumsily. Then came back to find my MSN blinking... yay! We're eating out for dinner. Jed brought us to Spago's (suspiciously recommended by the Beit Hall guide book). My pizza was really cheesy (if there was corn in it, it would have been corny too...). Just as we were leaving the restaurant it started to snow. Well not really snow, but sleet - which falls down in big feathery pieces and melts when it touches the ground. The sky was amazing though. It looked as if God had decided to shake out all his featherbeds. It was a really quick job though, before we were halfway back it was barely a drizzle of rain.
Came back to Linstead bar to support Soha and Yi Shan on bar duty. Did the usual sitting around and chit chatting. A smirnoff ice and a bath later and I'm ready to start on Communications tutorial... or maybe not...