Sunday, March 07, 2004

Statistics for the week leading up to Malaysian Night 2004: The Art of Wok

23 hours of rehearsals in total including long tormenting tech runs and messy costume changes
2 full dress rehearsals, which where never run in their full entirety and we never ever ran Act 2 in techs at all!
5 times I found myself landing wrongly on my weak right ankle, stubbing my toe on the stage's raised platforms or tripping on the uneven blocks on the stage as well stepping on my long skirt during rehearsals and thinking to myself "Really... where did I leave my sanity when they put me in dances???"
5 days I had to miss dinner and get it packed
3 days I found myself eating nothing till after 11pm, and even then it was soggy leftover veggies from dinner
6 days of carrying heavy bags and suitcases full of costumes back and forth between rehearsals and Linstead and using my room as a store room for props and costumes - (glad to see the 4kg gong leave my room!)
9 lectures/study groups slept through due to the lack of sleep coupled with long rehearsals
23 tickets sold but not necessarily paid for
1 lectured ponned just to find enough time to run down to Virgin Megastore to buy a CD for my godma to give to my brother (prior to that, had not left South Kensington in a week! Have not even seen Sainsbury's in 2 weeks! In dire straits since running out of milk!)

And in the end - man was it worth it!

Art of Wok was a tremendous success! So there were a few slip ups here and there like the damned lighting crew putting spotlights in all the wrong places and the mikes deciding to turn off when ever they felt like it... but my goodness! The crowd (which was a full house! all 700 tickets sold!) just loved it and what a lovely audience they were! They laughed even when the script wasn't meant to be funny. The lapped up all our corny jokes. They cheered for all our dances (and I *will* kill Ruby for screaming "Go Charlotte!" during the quiet romantic intro to the modern dance which completely threw me off) and even overlooked all our horrible mistakes (which included Nicole appearing late for Chinese dance and then grabbing my ribbon which was placed on stage-left such that I had to do abit of spontaneous dance steps to grab another ribbon from stage-right and finish up the dance!)

It's all over too soon...