Monday, November 24, 2003

What happens when Mum Finds Out About Your Blog?

I really wouldn't want my own mother reading what I have to say. Because it'll be a repetition of what I tell her, regardless of the fact that I usually talk to her in our own 'mother-daughter' language which means I tell her about my day and then she comments and I say "yes, Mum" and then she says she would have done exactly as I did when she was my age and I say "yes, Mum" and then she nags and I say "Yes, Mum".

My mum is an amazing person. Most people who've met her would agree. And I doubt she would be very shocked at the things I write in my blog. I tell my mother things like "I want to be the Minister of Transport one day" and she says "Oh alright, but why not the Minister of Trade and Investment?". I tell her when I go clubbing and she says things like "Vodka and lime? That's all you had? You should have tried Bacardi coke, and tequilas are always good. Oh come on, I've brought you up to hold your liquor". Sometimes she calls up in the middle of the morning and asks me what I'm doing answering my phone when I should be in uni and I say "Oh, I skipped lectures today... lecturer is way too boring so my hall mates are taking turns to attend the lectures to get notes for the rest" and she'd say "Good. You're learning fast, aren't you?". Still I wouldn't want my mother reading my blog. That would be blurring the boundaries of our mother-daughter relationship

My dad says I am a complete younger replica of my mother (but I look just like him). I talk fast, I'm impatient when people don't get my point and I was born with a haughty 'I am superior' look on my face. And for as long as I can remember I have always been my mother's daughter. I took up ballet because mum did. I played the piano because mum did. I took literature for SPM because mum was a Lit student. I adore math because it was mum's favourite too. I speak with her accent. I only trust her approval in clothes. I like the theatre, japanese food and lilies because mum does and I don't like chocolates or artificial japanese flower arrangements because mum doesn't. And I'm studying here in London and not in Brown because... well... I felt I owed it to mum to go back to the city she loved so much and be that London girl she always wanted me to be and not a quirky, Ivy League, american graduate. (No offence to any ivy league grads to be... I love you guys! honest!)

I met up for lunch with one of mum's old uni mates last weekend... and she told me what mum was like in university. Vain, bitchy and loud. And then mum's old friend said "You're so different from your mum. She was never as prim and proper as you are". Puzzling... I AM vain, I AM bitchy and I AM loud enough for my friends to always innocently kill me when we're playing polar bear just because "Charlotte is talking too much!"

Most people never want to become their mothers. I've never thought becoming my mother was a bad thing.