Monday, November 17, 2003

Cooking mishaps rarely happen to me... but I do believe I was being punished today for skipping software engineering lecture. You see, I came back early so that I could cook some instant pasta for lunch and start on circuits tutorials. I happily dumped a packet of instant pasta into my big soup bowl together with milk and butter and hot water, put the lid on and stuck it in the microwave. 5 minutes later I returned with my new pretty oven mitts, showed them off to Ruby and then proceeded to take the lid off the bowl so that I could stir my pasta.

But the lid wouldn't come off.

I tried using a knife to prod the lid. It stayed on. Ruby suggested turning the bowl upside down into Rich's pot. The lid still stuck. I tried pouring hot water over the bowl. It still stuck. The laws of physics clearly were against me today. Rich came into the kitchen to see what the hallabaloo was about and tried to help me pry the lid open. Rich the army boy couldn't open it either. Rich soon returned with a pair of really ugly blue and yellow rubber gloves so that he could firmly grasp the lid and wrench it off the bowl. The lid stayed on as stubborn as super glue (???).

After half an hour, everyone gave up and left me in the kitchen, annoyed, hungry and with my lunch still stuck in the bowl. I decided to put it back into the microwave to see what would happen and lo and behold while my bowl was spinning around on that little microwave plate thingee, the lid popped open. I immediately grabbed the bowl out from the microwave and took the lid off before it had a chance to stick again.

Believe me, lunch never tastes so good until you have to fight your cutlery for it!