Monday, November 17, 2003

I've always wondered why I studied Computing for A Levels. For many eons (roughly the time it takes to mug A Levels to insanity) I questioned God as to why I was stuck in a class, well known for being mainland China, studying a subject that less than 30 people in the whole college were taking and I was not even vaguely excited about. And now I have found my long awaited answer:

To become the resident programmer and Delphi help desk of Linstead Hall!!!

Today after church, I was thinking how lovely the day was... blue skies, lovely weather, 3 mackerels to grill for lunch with unagi sauce... and while I was happily cooking in the kitchen, thinking I had the entire afternoon to slowly work out circuits... Salman comes knocking on the kitchen door. I've got some programming questions, he says. Let me cook my fish first, I say. Ok, I'll just set up my laptop in your room, he says. ??!!??!!! WTF???, I say.

So back to my room I go with my lovely mackerel steaming... take a look at Salman's program. WTF???? Illegal assignments everywhere. Functions that don't return anything. Salman, you CANNOT assign anything to a function! It's not a variable!!! Correct some stuff... let Salman think about it for awhile... just as I'm about to take a bite out of my mackerel... phone rings!!! It's Adrian. Got problems with the programming, he says. Everyone only looks for me the day before the assessment is due, I say. Can you help please, he says. #%)@$^&... oh alright, come on over, I say.

Before long, I'm navigating between two laptops, a program with two different approaches and very different variable names... both trying to do the same thing. My lunch is getting cold, but I can't abandon Salman and Adrian, not when assessment is due tomorrow. I check and check and double check to make sure they've covered every aspect of the problem given. 4 hours later two people leave my room with big accomplished smiles on their faces and I flop down on my bed, tired and brain dead. My cold mackerel took an hour to finish and I still hadn't completed any of my own work. Sometimes I wonder that I try to be a good samaritan, and yet complain...

Thank goodness Amar was cooking dinner and I could study computer architecture comfortably in his room where no one would be looking for me.

The computing help desk is CLOSED and very tired!