Wednesday, April 30, 2003

!! Please don't ban The Economist !!

I've only taken a sneak peak at The Economist before. When I was in Raffles Junior College it seemed as if only the most profound and learned students (usually the Humanities people... I'm waiting for the Science people to strike me dead with a cathode ray gun), would browse the pages of THE magazine to read if you want to be up to date with all that's happening in the world (Newsweek and TIMES were considered fluffy material). I personally didn't venture further than 3 pages at a time... I'm still trying to digest that article I was reading on China's democracy.

But now our all-mighty Barisan wants to tie the noose on The Economist for one particular article which I have tried fervantly for the last few days to get a copy of but to no avail. If anyone is kind enough, it's titled The Changing of Guard - A Survey of Malaysia and it was released on April the 5th, please send it to me!!!. I got a few quips and quotes of the article from an article written in the Star [view here] I DO agree that we deserve the decency of an apology from The Economist, but look, please, don't ban it! It's bad enough that only a small minority of Malaysians read the magazine but nevertheless we need objective reading material these days... and yes, that does include the high and mighty voice of those 'Ang Mo's! So this is my little, tiny, individual plea (which will not be read and hopefully if it is JPA will not take away my scholarship) to not ban The Economist. I still haven't finished reading on China...