Friday, April 25, 2003

Finally the Iraq war no longer hogs the headlines of our English Dailies. (Well, in the case of The Malay Mail tabloid news always preceded any other news, but they don't count). SARS has taken over and I am rather amused to see Malaysia and Singapore repressing their innate habit of throwing insults across the causeway and working together (although stepping on each others toes once in a while) to overcome this vile disease. Looking on the brighter side of things, SARS may actually seal the wound that was caused by the water issue and the Pulau Batu Puteh/Pedra Branca fights. I'm idealistic? Yeah I know... I'm the one dating a Singaporean aren't I?

Family News Flash: I have a new niece. My cousin just delivered a beautiful baby girl called Emma! Jane Austen would be pleased! Considering that I have no affinity towards my 2 older nephews Christopher & Michael and my rather irritating niece, Jaime, and that I'm barely acquainted with my baby nephews Scotti, William, Elliot & Nathan, nor my other baby nieces Kathryn and Julie (the fact that I actually know their names at all is impressive!), I'm hoping Emma will be a little angel. The fact that she currently lives in Melbourne, thousands of miles away from me, helps alot!


Yesterday
If you gave me a rose
I would kiss you
And thank you for your kindness
For touching my heart
Today
You have handed me a bouquet
And asked me to pick one
Perplexed
I try to illiminate
Colour coordinate
Or even count the days before they wither
But I can't pick one
Won't you help me?
Why can't the flower pick me?

No matter how hard I try, I can't remember why I wrote this. It doesn't help that it's not dated. My closest guess is that it was written at a point in time when I couldn't decide where my ambitions lay. I still can't. I must be the only engineering student in the world whose dream is to open a craft shop!