Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Have not blogged for awhile, but have had some thoughts on my mind... let me just leave some here to take the weight off...
1. It doesn't matter that you are one out of 20 Singaporeans (do not ask why I am considered a Singaporean, this one I cannot fathom either) accepted into a prestigious Ivy League. People will still say, "Oh, yeah, I think Brown is quite a good university also" or "Brown... is... in England, right?" or worse still, "Brown ah... what university is that? Why didn't you apply to Harvard?". I rest my case.
2. You only realise that you are poor... very poor... when you have to fill in your scholarship form looking absolutely destitute as your family survives on your Dad's income which is a measly 5000 ringgit a month and selling the family home won't even be enough to cover the cost of your education!


Interval of Silence

They can't hear me
They won't perceive my thoughts
They implore me
Just talk, speak, respond!
But it's all a buzzing distant
Harmony in the background
Of my intricate world
Which weaves gossamer threads of raindrops
Each a glint of Sunlight
Each similar
Each different
Pirouetting upon a silver stage
That serves as my window ledge
And shimmers into pools of melted hopes
A cadence in its mesmerising waltz
Then they return
They look at me and shake their heads
They try to envision
What it is
That has locked
The doors between our worlds
And thrown away the key
Yet little do they know
The gateway to my universe
Is simplicity
To hear the symphony
Of the wind in it's rising and falling grace
And there are no intervals of silence
As its tuneful melody plays on
And the mirages stand still
In my vast world I call a reality
All relating only to that which is felicity personified
But they'll only call it idle dreams
They'll never know
Things aren't always what they seem

The first of my poems to be publised... in Sri Aman's yearbook (2000). Dreamy... that's always been me... just living in my world of dreams