Wednesday, May 28, 2003

This article appeared in the Star today
Student to sue over summons

My initial reaction on reading it was "You mean that's not allowed?"
I don't really know what the laws on PDA are in my own country. I've heard one of two things from friends like you can't make out in a car or kiss in public parks... but hey, I thought those were rumours!!! You mean to say you guys weren't kidding me all this while???

When I was in Singapore, PDA was accepted (I said accepted NOT encouraged!) everywhere! Buses, MRTs, parks, along Orchard Road, at any time you could see couples, holding hands, hugging, kissing, NORMAL displays of affection and no police officers come running up to you to tap you on the shoulder (and this IS a big deal in the country where you'd be damned to drop a sweet wrapper on the floor). My guess is that Singapore's uptight and rule crazy officials are closing one eye on this matter due to the declining rate of the Singapore population (i.e: Singaporeans are not producing enough Singaporean babies!). Coupled with the new 'Romancing Singapore' scheme (I'm serious! It's a really government scheme!), you won't see PDA being wiped out anytime soon.

So imagine my surprise to come back to this country and find that the rules of the game here are just not the same. Last December, Greg and I went to KLCC to have lunch with my cousin Ming Yin and her boyfriend Adrian (both studying in Melbourne Uni). While waiting for Ming to show up, Greg and I noticed that we were the only couple holding hands. Unless it was "Celebrate Single-hood" day, there really could be no reason for every guy and girl we saw walking together to be in a platonic relationship! It was really unnerving to see such a conservative sight! It wasn't until Ming appeared arm in arm with Adrian that I felt like I wasn't in the twilight zone anymore.

Did I miss out something when they were handing out the rules on dating ettiquette? We all know how I'm a by-the-book freak!

A whirlwind just passed
Took my life with it
And turned it upside down
And now it laughs at me
As it watches me
Slowly piece back the pieces
Into their unfamiliar slots
But there’s one missing picture of you
And I’m afraid I’ll forget
It was ever there in the start

Ditto yesterday's poem