Monday, May 05, 2003

I'm back!

And I'm raging mad!!! This morning I was kicked out of my sports club's library for... get this... wearing a SHORT SKIRT!!??!!
Alright, everyone knows I'm no rebel! I'm a stickler for rules 24-7! I grow pale when I'm asked to skip a lecture to attend important ODAC meetings (which I only did twice at most!). I always wore my uniform to perfection, buckle was always in place, kancing was never open. My hair accesories were always the right colour. My shoes the right shade. I even always wore the right socks to school... and in RJ, I NEVER had my shirt tucked out! It'd kill me to break any rule (except that coming late to school bit).
Even today, I checked every bit of my appearance before I entered the library. Now the library has some ridiculous rules... No shorts, no singlets, no sports skirts, no sleeveless blouses and no sweaty attire (which is fine by me although I think it's a little on the extremist side). So I walked right in, put my bag down and proceeded to the magazine section when I was stopped by the librarian who said "I'm sorry you can't wear shorts in the library". I looked down at my skirt (appr. 4 inches above my knees), "But I'm not wearing shorts! Are you blind or are you just uneducated enough not to know the difference?" Ok I didn't say the last bit, but I should have. The librarian (a young, Malay, dull witted looking bit-- ok I'm getting carried away) looked at me again and said, "I'm sorry, we don't allow skirts." I stared back at her and said "But that's not what it says on the club rules which are pasted on the library doors. There is NO rule saying I can't wear a skirt into the library". The young librarian gave a furtive glance at an older librarian wearing a tudung and glaring at me (what?? jealous?? Give me a break... just because I have a perkier ass than you do!) and turned back to me and said, "But mini skirts are not allowed". It was then that all hell broke lose! I have not worn a mini skirt since I was 15 and had skinny legs to my advantage... and I do believe that I have matured in my dressing and do not prance around KL in anything that would reveal more flesh than needs be!
"Mini skirt?? This is not a mini skirt! I have been allowed into the library many times before wearing skirts and it is NOT in your club rules!"
Without flinching the librarian had the audacity to reply, "If you don't leave I'm going to have to ask my boss to scold you."
Scold me??? How old does she think I am? Five?
"Fine!" I said "I'm going to complain" and under my breath "You'd better pray hard that I don't just make you lose your job"
I stormed out of the library, went straight to the club front desk, made a written complaint, then went straight to the hall where my mother was doing her line dancing and garnered support from all the aunties in the room who assured me that I was right in what I had done, telephoned my dad to whine until he agreed to see that my complain was looked into... and now I'm typing out a blog to vent my frustration!
I should wear a tag around me that says... think twice before accosting me and claiming that I have broken a rule! I will cause all hell to break lose for you!
But what I feel that I have been more wrongfully accused of is dressing in a way that was acceptable. I understand that some people think that sleeveless clothes are indecent. I'd understand if the hem of my skirt was just below my butt. And I totally agree that you shouldn't enter the library after you've just had a hearty game of tennis and are practically leaving a trail of sweat. But I don't see what is wrong with a young girl like me entering a library to do some reading (in these days when everyone complains that the young don't read enough) dressed in a t-shirt with sleeves and a skirt and proper shoes. For goodness sake! I thought I had a right to be proud that I'm living in KL and NOT Kelantan! Or maybe I've been mistaken all this while! Are you next going to insist that I can only enter the library if I'm wearing something completely unflattering? Or wait... that I can only enter the library if I look worse than the librarian. And I'm sorry that I make a skirt look good on me even if its slightly shorter than the length of my college skirt! I'm sorry that looks like a mini skirt to you, just because you have a skewed view of what is indecent!

I don't believe in best friends
A tryst is not a trust
I don't believe in true love
There's only room for lust
I don't believe in dreams
They turn ugly in the end
I don't believe in fairness
Things just twist and bend

I do believe in true friends
I believe that you are one
I do believe in giving love
It hurts when there is none
I do believe in living today
As if it were the last
I do believe in life itself
Plan tomorrow, forget the past

I don't have a best friend. I gave up on such things a long time ago. I'm sceptical about true love... unfortunately I've learnt love and lust have just got to work together somehow. I hate dreams, you always have to wake up. And things are never fair, as today has proven once again!