Wednesday, May 14, 2003

The POEMS have returned! Here are some of my most utterly crap work! Written during my first 6 months in Singapore. *Sigh* those first 6 excrutiating months... a whirlwind of experiences. You can't imagine what a horrible ordeal it was for me to travel down to this tiny island all alone without knowing ANYBODY!
Psst... I'll let you in on a little secret. I HATE meeting new people!!! I am unbelievably shy and uncomfortable around people I don't know, especially if they are oozing with confidence and vigour. So much for being an 'interactor'. And many of you probably didn't know that the whole idea of going to a place where I didn't know a single person scared the hell out of me! It didn't help that I hadn't been to Singapore since I was 5! How I survived the initial first week is till this day a mystery to me because throughout that one week I felt like I wanted to run home!
Ok now that I've just talked a whole bunch of goobledeegook... I will try (I said TRY) to publish the poems I wrote in chronological order so that you can venture into the trials and tribulations of a scholar's life in Singapore...

Waiting is akin
To time rushing by
As buses pass you by
And the sky’s silver lining
Turns a threatening shade of grey
How much longer must I go on waiting?

When I first arrived in Singapore, I brought along the bare minimum. All my party clothes, my hair accesories, my make-up kit, anything that spoke of LIFE was left at home. My job here was to study and get through 2 years and come home. That's when the whole concept of waiting came to bear such a heavy weight on my mind. I found myself just waiting for 2 years to be up. And my life literally turned grey (It was the rainy season... and waking up every morning knowing that I will arrive at school half drenched and spend the entire day walking around in soggy socks was very very trying!). The phenomenon of travelling by bus (something I NEVER did in Malaysia) brought its own troubles which included walking to the bus stop only to find the bus you want pass you on the way and there is no way of chasing after it because this is Singapore and buses ONLY stop at bus stops (what do you think they are called that for?). The most ridiculous thing I ever did was miss 3 buses WHILE I was at a bus stop because I was so busy talking!!!
Anyhow, it was a good thing I woke up and decided that I shouldn't waste 2 years being a nerd. Ew!