Tuesday, May 27, 2003

I did some crazy things today
I spent RM32 posting Greg's birthday present to him... and that cost more than the present itself!
I drove the wrong way down a one way street, got stuck for 20 minutes (it seemed that long to me), caused a major bottle neck jam.
I killed 10 mosquitoes in my car alone. My mum left the window down last night.
I sat down and studied econs for 3 hours. I finished 1 major chapter. The first one. The easiest one. Tonight I'll look into elasticities.

In reply to the poem on Daryan's blog... Love is that great mystery that makes us accept everything unconditionally... even ourselves.


No one feels the silence
But you’re gone
Like a silver breeze vanishing…
Melting away…
Melting me
Cause I don’t know why
The emptiness hurts more than pain
And I want to know why
If you weren’t going to stay
Why did you come into my life at all
So now I’ll laugh lonely laughs
And talk lonely talks
There’s no one here to break the silence
It’s become too familiar now you’re gone


It's funny how you can get so attached to people after knowing them only for a few months. Maybe its because they were the only things you could find refuge in. This is for Zi Shen and Anthony.
Zi Shen, who always called me aunty, who made me laugh at jokes so corny they would make a jagung blush, who never let any of the girls walk to or from school alone, who played badminton with me even though I was as lousy as crap, who was our unspoken leader and beacon of light, who left to take up a JPA scholarship so that he could go to Stanford... and there he is now...
Anthony, our dear gentle giant, with his umbrellas in case he ever got the chance to shield a fair damsel from the rain, and apple strudels for bribing us, whose piano playing awed us, who'd get the girls our soups during dinner then declare that he'd never marry any one of us before walking off haughtily, who left to take up a JPA scholarship because he wasn't happy in Singapore, who's going to become a doctor instead of the musician he always wanted to be...
I missed you guys all the time I was in Eton. The void you guys left made me throw myself totally into ODAC, because I couldn't bear going back to the hostel, knowing I'd be alone, that there wouldn't really be anyone to talk to or laugh with. Luckily things got better as time went on. I know I wasn't the only one who felt that way. Here's a poem by Hooi Ying, its a pity you guys didn't get the chance to read it before you left:


JUST A FLEETING MOMENT

When first we came to this peculiar place,
And got to know each other,
We thought we would spend our nights and our days,
Together in the next two years.

There were some difficulties that we weathered,
Some roads we travelled together ,
But later you decided,
That another path was better.

The halls will never again sound,
With your voices or laughter,
But still sweet memories abound ,
Of the times we were together.

Was it chance that brought us over,
From places miles apart,
Is it fate that keeps us together,
Or deems that we should part?

But let us not think of what might have been,
And wipe from our hearts the sorrow,
We shall each pursue our individual dreams,
For a better and brighter tomorrow.

- Looi Hooi Ying, ASEAN scholar


This is dedicated to:
Lye Theng Pui Man Meng Wai Big Grace Chun Hong Ming Hoong Kian Hong Sylvia
Wee Siong Peter Bong Chao Hong Mong Peng Sing Eek

Not forgetting:
Zi Shen Anthony

And all who went back.