Monday, November 20, 2006

It's never too early to start a Christmas wish list...

And yes, I've gotten over wanting Lychee scented ironing water, in case you were wondering.

It's come to that time of year again when I ponder laboriously over the perfect gift for my loved ones. (Xiaokai, that does not include you in case you were wondering)

So I go about my usual routine - walk up and down Oxford St/Regent St/Covent Garden/Sainsbury aisles... in the hope of finding something that will make the receiver gasp in awe at my wonderful gift selecting skills. Something tells me that isn't what 'giving from the heart' is about. *shrugs*

Now the problem with the perfect present is that is always costs way above what I can afford. And that's when I go snooping about eBay in the hopes of spotting a good bargain. But then my Scrooge-like attitude catches me off guard and I resign to the fact that I do not have the heart to give anyone a second hand present. With the exception of some presents I've received over the years which go into a recycling box and are picked up again and rewrapped when in desperate need of a last minute present. Don't look at me that way. You do it too!

Is there any point to me telling you this? Is there some anecdote from my daily life that I am going to share with you regarding Christmas presents? Nope, none at all.

Except that the Christmas displays on almost all the London high street shops too freaky and distorted for the Christmas spirit. What do mannequins that are dolled up like Marilyn Manson and his equally freaky gothic, burlesque queen wife Dita von Teese, have to do with that warm, fuzzy Yuletide feeling?