Saturday, November 11, 2006

Saving money

My brother has decided to leave Oxford for another weekend and spend it in London. This is why I tell people to study in London and not be smitten by Oxbridge. Follow the lights, baby. London is where the life is!

I'm supposed to meet him in awhile. It's the second time in 2 weeks that he's asked to meet me for a meal, not because he misses his sister terribly. It's all part of his expert budgeting. Making me pay for his meals. It's quite easy to tell when he's looking for sisterly love and when he wants a meal ticket. The meal tickets usually start of with "Chae-chae...", otherwise it's no point addressing me by my older sister title, unless of course there's a need to sort out Matlab coding.

I on the other hand have been rather terrible at saving money this term, no thanks to graduation and the number of meals out with friends I've missed greatly. When you think you're not going to see someone for a good number of months or ever again, what's 20 or 30 pounds? Yeah, it's about 150 ringgit... thanks for doing the math. Still, when you're feeling melancholic you'll spend money on a good bottle of wine, Italian food, platters of grand thali's, Nobu even! Although, sitting on the benches outside the Science Museum with Ayish, Tao and Chien Liq for a good hour or so, in the middle of the night, (not to mention in the COLD!) was probably the fun-nest thing I've done for free!

My brother's calling. He's hungry. I'd better go.