Saturday, November 04, 2006

Thanks for not blowing up the Parliament


If it wasn't for some nutter called Guy Fawkes whom in 1605 inspired the Gunpowder Plot to blast the Parliament into smithereens, we wouldn't be able to construct gigantic bonfires and fill the air with fireworks.

As I pushed my way through the crowd at Battersea Park, closer and closer to the flames which were consuming an effigy of Guy Fawkes himself (poor guy, I really hope he isn't burning in hell because it sure is hot enough in that fire), and once I got close enough to feel the heat on my face I refused to budge. Not when it's about 8 degrees anywhere beyond a 3 metre radius of the fire.

It didn't take long to focus my attention skywards, as did all the under 10's standing around me.

Nothing is more fun than standing in the crisp cold air, as a bonfire burns beside you and the smell of hotdogs is wafting through the crowd, and watching a haphazard display of fireworks bursting in the air.



The best part of the night had to be sipping mulled wine as I walked back to the bus stop and warming my hands while the alcohol muddled my brain. I bet Alex and Charlie, whom I met at the bus stop, wished they had mulled wine. Especially Charlie who just wanted to get home and get drunk.

Happy Guy Fawkes Day! The 5th of November is easily remembered