Thursday, July 14, 2005

You all are worse than my mum!

grammatically speaking, that should read 'all of you are...' but real English just doesn't have that added punch of in-your-face Manglish.

but I digress.

The last thing Charme said to me was: just drop a line a day on your blog so that we know you're safe! :)

Come on! Even my mum has stopped calling everyday!

[oh but I DO love all this sudden concern and love!]

My mum really annoyed me yesterday. But in retrospect, the things she says are hilarious! Heaven knows what the Malaysian papers are saying (or showing) about the London bombings, but its got alot of Malaysians more worried than the Londoners, and that includes my ever paranoid and over-protective mother. Yesterday, she called me and devised a security plan for me should I ever be stuck inside Marks & Spencer in the event of a bomb scare. (It's happened to her before, you see. Back in the 70's). Why Marks & Spencer? Because it's owned by Jews - a possible target, no?

I know my mother worries because she is a mother and mothers worry (and I just know I will turn into her one day!), but I swear it is going to test every fibre of my patience to go home this summer and be under her care. Since my dad's recovery from cancer, there is not a single item of food that my mother does not scrutinise for preservatives, genetic-modification, carsinogens, sugar, vitamin C produced the wrong way, eggs laid by the wrong chickens and who knows what else! Sometimes it seems that everything I eat or buy is unhealthy or cancer-inducing, one way or another. She's even got me taking these pills to boost my immunity, which is possibly a placebo as I haven't been taking them, and my housemates got sick instead of me! (The only time I was sick this year was due to MNite and no amount of immunity pills could have prevented fatigue and stress!). I'm okay with the cod liver oil and the vitamin C and maybe the vegetable supplements because we don't eat enough veggies in this house (you hear that, Lu??). But other than subscribing to the 8 glasses of water a day, 7 hours of sleep and heaps of veggies and fruits health plan, I believe my mother needs to learn how to take everything else in moderation.

My mum just reminded me yesterday not to bring any cookies or artificially sweetened dried fruits (and a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten) back from London. I am going to need a magnifying glass to carefully read the labels of anything I intend to bring home as gifts! She also mentioned that she shouldn't be telling me what to do as I am officially all of twenty-two years. But.. sigh! I can do anything I want in London, but hey, she's the boss at home! At least she still allows me to eat hawker food (because she knows the hawkers personally and has possibly inspected all their ingredients herself).