Tuesday, July 12, 2005

London, paranoid?

Londoners have been urged to return to normal life. That means - go to work! use the buses! use the tube! relive the hustle and bustle of one of the busiest cities in the world as if crazed terrorists never showed their venomous hatred towards us. Show them we're not afraid.

And just after I'd told haoxiang that I don't really feel any different living in a city that's been under seige, on my way to Starbucks (my new haven for a comfy spot to do some reading) at the crossroads of Cromwell Road and Gloucester Road, I saw a huge black cloud of smoke rising from one of the buildings facing Natwest (next to the money changer). My first instinct was to kay poh as I was at a perfect spot to watch the drama of fire engine trucks racing down Cromwell road, followed later by police cars and an ambulance. After 5 minutes, I figured that they should be able to get the situation under control pretty fast, so I went into Starbucks to order my Caramel Frappucino (I swear it's not helping the fats... oh yes, with cream please!). But from inside Starbucks you could see ash spewing onto the streets and they stopped serving us at Starbucks due to the 'dangerous situation' outside. People were starting to leave Starbucks, and cashiers and waiters were running out of KFC and Illy cafe and Burger King - some to kay poh, others just wanting to get as far away as possible in case it was more than just a house fire.

Since it was a hot day and I really needed to get my readings done, I walked to the Starbucks at Sainsbury's. Two hours later, on my way back, even more fire trucks were along Cromwell road and even more police. They'd managed to cordon off the entire stretch of Cromwell road from Natwest till the Natural History Museum. There wasn't anymore smoke, and I don't think anyone was badly hurt because the ambulances were still there but not doing anything, but you could see that alot of extra precaution was being taken. I mean, we didn't even see this much drama last year, not even a fire truck, when smoke was spewing out the fourth floor of Linstead Hall due to someone's cooking accident last year!

It has affected us. Paranoia is here to visit for awhile.