Friday, July 22, 2005

What IS happening?

Police have just shot dead a man suspected to be a bomber outside Stockwell tube station.
News here and at Londonist.com

What's scary is that witnesses claimed that police:

'"pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him"
Shooting to disarm or disable is somewhat necessary. Shooting to kill - now that's scary. The Muslim council is now asking for an explanation. How can this be explained?

-------------------

I'm not scared enough to want to go home yet. My route everyday is just between Imperial and my temporary flat and occasional side trips to Starbucks. I'm not in the busy CBD, in fact I'm right beside the very gentle Natural History Museum and V&A (and I know I'll just cry if Natural History is bombed! I love that museum! But what's the point of bombing tourists and dinosaur bones?) And just TRY bombing Imperial. We're so tiny we'll rebuild in 5 minutes! That's not to say we're not a likely target; an institution with some of the greatest minds in the world! But we're protected by dear Sir Alexander Fleming's ghost in the Chem Labs to say the least. And that's if we don't implode on one of our own experiments in the deep recesses of our labs!

But above all, I know I'm just not scared because my faith says I needn't be.