Monday, July 04, 2005

Booked, tagged and bound!

Yeap, I copied the title right off your blog, Sher. Hope you don't mind.

So after a lazy hazy day, spent lounging around doing various errands and then getting a cuppa with Ayish followed by more lounging around in my room watching the M-Nite dvd again and talking about the 'old days' (how can we ever get tired of our baby?), what better way can I end my day with than filling in a book tag!

Total number of books I own: I buy almost every book I read (I don't believe in borrowing or loaning or stealing etc.), so erm... that's a pretty big collection. I intend to house a library one day.

Last Book I Bought: Ooh, I went on a book spree a short while before my exams with Lionel. We came back with no less than 8 books, me thinks. Among them were Fly: an experimental life, and The Chinese Experience

Last Book I was gifted: Well, erm, here's the joke. I don't remember being given any books in the last few years. You'd think people wouldn't think I was a book aficianado. If you did give me a book and I've forgotten, well message me and I'll edit this!

Last Book I Read: The Da Vinci code. I don't believe it and I do not subscribe to it.

Currently Reading: Does the Glamour magazine I bought at the airport count? Oh fine, I'm starting on Angels and Demons. I'm not a Dan Brown fan, in fact I think he's awful, but since its sitting prettily in my fireplace, I might as well.

Five Books that mean a lot to me:
You are kidding! You can't make me choose! Alright, off the top of my head...

1) Everything Is Illuminated - Jonathan Safron Foer
I just took one look at the cover and I knew I had to have it, read it, know it!
2) The Remains of The Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

If you had to take a pause in life and look down the fork in the road, this is a book you should have by your bedside. Don't ask me why. I just felt that way about it, reading it after Prelims in my little hostel room in Singapore.
3) Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
It isn't so much the story that means a lot to me, it's the people I read it with, the long forgotten times spent analysing it, tearing it apart and then seeing it in a new light, back in Mrs Menon's dining hall on hot Saturday afternoons. And then, things fell apart. Where's the centre we had now?
4) High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
The beginning of my love affair with Nick Hornby, Helen Fielding, and all other witty, tongue in cheek, satirical authors. I dedicate this top 5 list to High Fidelity.
5) Jane Eyre & The Professor - Charlotte Bronte
She's my namesake, and I can't choose between these two books. I love them both. There's also Shirley, but it's almost like Jane Eyre. I liked the Professor a little bit better because it had a happier ending.


This Book Tag is now passed to: (alright... who reads... hmm... who reads?)

Anyone who's chanced on this book tag and hasn't done it. I know the ones who read (kat, cl, fidzy, hx, jac, jills, kimmy, maggie), so there! You've been book tagged!