Sunday, January 25, 2004

And so it's already lin chor sum (third day of CNY), and we're still in the festive mood. Our large appetites and constant cravings for Chinese food are definite signs. The angpows are still hanging on my door and my lovely little paper fire crackers with the word fook(luck) written on it is still perched on the edge of my shelves. When I get the little blinking red lantern lights back from Trinh, they will go above my windows so that my room will probably look like Geylang from the outside...

My sleep cycle which had been tuned back to normal is now once again wrecked. Beginning with Tuesday night's 12 till 3am chit-chat (I had 5 hours of sleep and you slept till noon!!! Next time we decide to hold early morning conversations can we NOT have it before my 9am classes!!). Then preparing for the new year's eve steamboat - 2 hours in the kitchen chopping meat and deboning chicken drumsticks!! Followed by a dinner that lasted late into the night, watching everyone get drunk. Then the Chinese New Year party at the bar. I have never organised a bar party before, and even Xinyi couldn't imagine me doing it... but I did! And it was surprisingly successful! Never had this much fun at the bar before. Then there was the Malaysian Soc. CNY dinner on the 2nd day at Chuen Cheng Ku... the company made up for the tasteless food... and then back to Linstead to find everyone playing mahjong. The temptation was just too much. Found ourselves (or rather just me, alex, lionel and lu) playing till 5am in the morning (we planned to stop at 4am, then as I started losing drastically we planned to stop when I'd become bankrupt, after which I started to win miraculously, then we planned to stop when I reached 50 dollars or it reached 5am... which ever was sooner). Today, after very few hours of sleep, I proceeded to go for bhangra dance practices, skived Chinese dance practice, and went to Portobello Market where we found lychees for 1 pound per pound! We then walked an amazingly long way to Nahar for dinner (teh tarik!!!) and then returned to Linstead to find everyone watching Once Upon a Time in China. Proceeded to finish off ALL the lychees rather quickly... and then started to plan for Easter holidays. It's not easy to plan a holiday for more than 10 people... in fact it's impossible. Finally decided on Austria, Switzerland and Germany... while the rest who want to shop will probably go to Italy and Paris. By the time we'd decided it was way past midnight. And now I'm so stoned that this entry isn't even interesting... apologies!