Friday, January 26, 2007

That's a lot of fresh air

I've shut the door, one too many times. Left the world outside and forgot to put up a post-it saying "remember you used to live".

Instead I hibernate in my room, asleep by 8pm, waking at dawn and contemplating an early morning swim.

Then, Kristina (you remember her, my gorgeous blond German roommate in the first year) invited me out for drinks to celebrate her birthday. And that led to a series of most fortunate events.

Firstly, it pulled me away from my Matlab codes and also led to the discovery of a rather charming bar/restaurant right behind South Kensington station.

The Collection boasts comfy turkish-looking wooden furniture and a reliable selection of exotic food. Popular with Chelsea yuppies and the fashion folk, its a nice place for catching up with long lost roommates and even a spot of clubbing on the weekend. If you're alright with the demographics averaging at 28 years. I'm torn between having to grow up and clinging to my university childhood.

The most amazing thing about this place has to be the restrooms where a very nice attendant told me how gorgeous I am (always a winning point) and the assortment of expensive perfumes at the washstand for touch-ups. How thoughtful! Oh and also the entrance, reminiscent of a fashion show runway which helps add to the model-glam of the place.

Meeting Kristina and her brother at Collection, led on to an invitation to join them for a gig at the Blagclub at Notting Hill Gate. Every Wednesday is Warm Wednesday, and features a live acoustic session in a cosy eastern-influenced room (with not enough chairs in my opinion - my poor poor feet in 3 inch heels).



The artist we had come to see was Stephanie Grace, a lovely delicate nymph with a voice that just melts you. Check out her myspace because nothing I say can do her any justice. My favourite song is ticket. I kinda wish I had bought her cd, but regretfully I didn't have more than 5 pounds in my wallet.

I don't remember much about the second artist of the night. Some girl called Danielle who was warbling like Christina Aguilera on coke. Sorry, I prefer poetic lyrics over warblers.


So I'm back to a music listening mood, and I hope no one caught me cooking in the kitchen with my Creative Nano plugged in and singing along to Chantal Kreviazuk while stirring my pot of hong bak. In the meantime, Lionel has me all jealous because he's bought himself an early birthday present - a Creative Xmod. The demo on cmss 3D x-fi is fantastic. Try the 3D headphone demo (with headphones on, of course!). Lionel has now turned his room into a surround-sound music room, just with a laptop, mp3s and two speakers.

And so it's almost the end of another week - with a hectic social schedule ahead. Lunch with B-landing girls, dinner with GS girls, dim sum lunch with Cheng Chun and Aeronautics folk, clubbing on Monday because I have to chaperone my little brother (no not really, but I like making it sound like it is - haha!). Busy, busy, busy.

Alright I'm out of here.