Thursday, January 11, 2007

Of cakes and turning 24

Cake count as of now is three.

That's three cakes in three days! So much for my resolution to lose weight this year (stop! before you tell me I'm thin enough, I didn't mean I want to become aneroxic, but fat genes run in my family and one day I might wake up as a size 12 and beyond)

The first cake came courtesy of my freshers here in Linstead Hall. Just as the clock struck midnight on Tuesday, and Lionel's call woke me up, there was a strange muffled commotion outside my door which I clearly recognised as too many Malaysian voices trying to whisper all at once. As I stood behind my door listening to the cacaphony of "Shhh"s outside, I was half tempted to open the door and surprise them instead. After 10 minutes, they knocked on my door, pushed a cake in my face and started singing Happy Birthday while I pulled an Oscar winning look of stunned surprise. Later on in my room, approximately 8 freshers were guzzling strawberry cream sponge cake from Pattiserie Valerie. Very yummy!

The second cake came from my godmother. Usually she bakes me gigantic cakes which take a month to finish (without Yi Shan around), but this year she brought me a chocolate cake from M&S. It was still gigantic and thus I made the freshers gather in the upper gallery for more cake and Haagen Daaz Pralines and Cream. The cake disappeared within minutes. It was very good cake!

The third cake appeared today during my usual prayer group meeting, thanks to Teresa! A lovely little lemon sponge cake. That's three different cakes in three days!

And I still have a dinner to go tomorrow with my EE and ISE friends. I fear the cake count may rise. Is this like the never-ending birthday celebration or what?