Wednesday, January 10, 2007

On this day in history

And I am getting quite prehistoric. Anything past teenhood tends to make one feel like a stegosaurus.

On this day in 1983, a very tiny baby was born in the sanitised wards of University Hospital. She didn't cry and the doctors feared for the worse. Little did they know she was just enjoying an afternoon nap in the warmth of the humid Malaysian afternoons she'll come to love and was writing poetry in her head.

On this day in 2004
, I celebrated my birthday for 31 hours, on a plane back to London. When I arrived in Linstead, Lionel, who had offered "free porter services to ladies in pink", was no where to be found and I had to wake Maomao up to help me drag my bags to my room. Lionel made up for it by sharing his precious 5 grams of Swiss-French Berthaud cheese and the Les Miserables piano score I had been planning to buy for myself. Subsequently while celebrating, the fire alarm managed to set itself off 3 times in one night.

On this day in 2005, Tao brought a huge chocolate cake from Valerie Pattiserie to the JCR for me. And when I said I didn't eat chocolate, he gave a very excited "Oh REALLY?" and proceeded to give me a pair of 'silent slippers' which are really oversized fluffy booties while breaking his low-carb diet, just for me! Lionel in the meantime was close to surrendering after a violent fight with a bout of flu and thus only managed to go out to a nearby restaurant instead of the mussels at Belgo's which were promised earlier. But the spotlight of the day was on my shiny new Tiffany & Co. ring! Jealousy? Envy? Why yes, one of each please!

On this day in 2006, Lionel reserved a table at Nobu and splurged on the best degustation menu I've ever eaten. Not that I frequent 3 Michelin star restaurants on a regular basis of course. And all that after Lionel had convinced me that the furthest he was taking me to was Masala Zone in Earl's Court.

On this day in 2007, I'm sitting for an accounting exam in about 3 hours. And then spending the rest of the day trying to reverse the aging process the last few sleepless nights have been wrecking upon my body.

How anti-climatic.