Friday, August 08, 2003

The Motorola Trainee's Week: Continued

Wednesday
"It's the middle of the week! It's the middle of the week!"
Kavi is only restrained from dancing around the line by the constrictions of the smock
"What's he got to be so happy about?"
"Soo San's on leave..."
"He's not the only one with a supervisor who's on leave. Vivien and Fong strolled in at 9 this morning!!!"
Kavi returns with a downcast look and a megazine of substrates
"She's not on leave after all" *mutters* "BIG project she said... very important, Kavi... a major responsibility she said... and what am I doing now? Wire peel and Wire pull tests! 30 test per unit! 20 units per megazine!" *breaks down and cries on the wire pull machine*
Li Ling shrugs "At least you're not searching for foreign matter on the dies"
"Weren't you all ready to confront Soo San on giving you mind-numbing operator type jobs?"
"Have YOU ever SEEN her? I've been her trainee for a month and I've never seen her SMILE!"
*mutters* "and I bet she eats little children for breakfast too"

Thursday
"We've been in the cafeteria for an hour!"
"Who cares? Your supervisor won't miss you"
"But break is only 20 minutes"
"Oh really..."
Fong returns from his 4th trip to the food line
"Haiyah, it takes 10 minutes to walk from office to cafeteria and 10 minutes to walk back. Lidat, 20 minutes gone already!"
"Oh my gosh!! There's foreign matter in my guava!!"
"Relax Li Ling... relax! Foreign matter only occurs on dies ok... only on the dies..."
"psst... they're really killing her spirit aren't they?"

Friday
Trainees are walking with little springs attached to their shoes
Everyone is working with a noticeable increase in efficiency... no one is puking because of the scopes
"9 more hours to the weekend! Can you feel it? Can you just feel it?"
"I don't care! Today I'm leaving at 5:30 sharp! I don't care if the ovens don't work! I am Going Home!"
"What if Dom needs you to stay?"
"He's a grown man... he can take care of himself!"
"Lets go for a 2 hour lunch break"
"But we already had a 2 hour lunch break yesterday... AND its not very discrete when 5 trainees leave the office together!"
"Why are you walking that way? The exit is here..."
"And so is my boss's office! I'm trying to avoid her! Duh!"
"Wow! It's 5:15 already? Hey! Where's everybody????"
Pin drop silence plays in the background...

** disclaimer **
All names mentioned are real, most situations and conversations are not (except for the part about the clocks standing still for eternity)...
Erm... and if anyone mentioned above chances upon my blog... I think all you trainees are great, and I wouldn't survive here without you guys and hey! I know I didn't exactly put in the whole truth, but I didn't really want to scare any future Motorola trainees. =)