Saturday, August 23, 2003

The Imperial College Union Malaysian Society Fresher's Reception is a mouthful to say and was held at Equatorial Hotel today. (Do all Equatorial Hotels sit right on the Equator? Or is it just false advertising?)
I have this great fear of being alone at social functions and creating horrifying social faux pas without my loyal (but few) friends to quickly cover up for me and whisper to everyone "Oh, you know, that's Charl... she's slightly mental but nice when you get to know her... if you dare". I am relieved to say that I did not make any horrifying social faux pas today. The only *blush* moment occured when I was standing at the podium during the round of introductions and said the magic words: "... and I'm from Raffles Junior College, Singapore". All of a sudden there was a stir and a mumur of "ooos" and "ohs" passing through the room, and from that moment hence forth I am now 'the one from RJ'.
Meeting new people who are going to be a part of your life for the next 4 years is a make or break situation. In those few hours you've already summed up who you can relate to and who you cannot stand to be in the same room with. I DO hope my first impressions today are right. They usually aren't.

----------------------------

I've finally figured out that straight, sleek, tame hair is just not me. After receiving the four-way-style-to-go (straightener and crimper) from Vidal Sassoon, my hair is now a big mass of waves and little curls. Greg would be so proud. (TLY! I know what you're going to say so you don't need to say it!!)