Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The little thrills...

of my daddy working in the government!

The Ministry of Trade and Industry to be precise (oh yes, dear old Aunty Rafidah is his boss, and the ministry is so filled with gossips at the moment that my mother daren't even discuss them with me in English for fear of bugs on the line, but scathingly warns me in Cantonese).

Just the last weekend I ranted to daddy about the ego-bashing Malaysia's bio-valley ("bio-what?", you say) received in Nature last week. [See a reprinted version here] . My daddy in his ever calm civil servant manner instructed me to e-mail the article to him which I obtained in pdf form from Lionel who had received it from A*Star (oh, the Malaysian bashing that's being circulated!)

My daddy responded this morning to tell me that he has passed on the article to the appropriate people and some action will be taken.

Oh, that makes me feel all warm inside. I have done my part in alerting the Malaysian government. A teeny weeny contribution from one of its young 'hopeful' citizens.

And I fear there will be more Malaysia-bashing (or Malay-bashing rather) from the International community to come. Like this commentary from the BBC. My country really is a lovely place. Rather silly people run it, that's all. And with an over achieving sibling down south, no wonder we never look too good.