Saturday, August 13, 2005

I never wanted to go to Cambridge, mum

Cambridge is lovely. It makes you feel like being an all serious scholar and studying. It also makes you very tempted to run across the manicured lawns for fun. Apparently only the fellows are allowed to do so.

I can't help but feel relieved we can run, jump, lie, roll around Queens lawn all we want.

It rained such miserable rain today. The colleges still looked lovely in their sorry dripping wet state. The last time I was there some 8 or 9 years ago, it was part of my mother's careful strategy to inspire her first child to graduate from one of the oldest and grandest academic institutions in the world. I'm actually very glad that never happened. (I swear I reeeallly tried my best, mum!)

We (Lionel, Chun Xian - a classmate of Lionel's, and I) met up with Fidel and Jenny (both doing summer attachments there) and Song Choon (senior, doing his postgrad there) and Tzo Zen (Rafflesian alumnus and Cambridge undergrad).

Now that we're done with tedious introductions to everyone...

We saw a lot of the interwoven university town. We must have walked everywhere thrice. It's nice to have everything in walking distance of... well, everything, and being able to walk freely on cobbled 'pedestrians only' streets. However, the touristy feeling of Cambridge gets a little irksome after awhile. Imagine poking your head out of the JCR to find Japanese tourists taking photos at Queens Tower!

As much as I grudge Imperial for not having that old, classical academic institution look instead of its defiant glass and metal Tanaka building, I can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else but in this grand old city.

Oh and should Tzo Zen ever drop by this blog again, in restropect I realised what I said during lunch must have sounded terrible! I didn't 'remove' her link from my blog, I removed all my links when revamping this blog last year, and lost all my links in the process. Thus not remembering how I found her blog, I never relinked it. I've linked it back again after some searching. It's wonderful that google still keeps really old stuff in its caches. And I do like Tzo's site. It's all her. That's the kind of project I'd like to target this summer, saying that I recover from this malaise called procrastination.