Thursday, July 22, 2004

They say the city can numb your senses, and numb 'em pretty bad.

To be able to gape at towns like Bukit Beruntung and Kuala Kubu Baru (barely an hour's drive out of KL) and wonder in amazement how these little towns (their pride and joy being their local mosque or one of the many mushrooming local 'universiti's) far from the nearest Golden Screen Cinemas or glass covered skyscrapers have managed to spawn and produce residents, nay whole families, with much more than a proton wira parked in their porchs.

I have been a city girl much too long.

I watched as a group of primary school kids came charging at our Pajero on their bicycles. "So young, so daring already", commented my supervisor. But I was thinking of the kids from the primary school down the road from where I live, whose maids shelter them with umbrellas (what from? acid rain?) and carry their school bags and usher them into Mum and Dad's Mercedes which is blocking the entire road so that Junior has easy access to that big plush back seat.

You don't really know who to feel sorry for. Perhaps my own blinded self.