Monday, July 05, 2004

Pretty good weekend, for the strangest of holidays yet. I have never waited so long to see my parents, to want my parents around so badly, to wish I did not have the dreary monotony of child-care, house-care and even car-care, to want to be treated as a daughter and not as a fill-in mother.
I take for granted - the trips to eat my favourite char kuay teow, the freedom to run around KL or PJ when a phonecall comes in, the late nights out without care or responsibility of knowing who's going to lock up, thinking that my sister's education (or re-education) had nothing what-so-ever to do with me, treating my boyfriend's visits as my first and only priority...
But it isn't so. Life is much too short and precious to be about me alone.
And so I go for early morning walks with Daddy, 4 times round the park and as many times as he can walk before he tires himself. And I run around depositing cheques, arranging appointments and calling people for Mummy, even if I'm just dying for more hours of sleep. And I stay at home every night just to sort out Ling's homework and piano practice, even when Sachpal and Jere call to tempt me out.
And I'm so glad you're being so understanding, honey. Thanks for coming up to KL to see me and yet not see me. For allowing me to run off from KLCC before nine so I could take a straight LRT home. For finding your own way through our lousy LRT system with unconnected lines to spend a day, running errands with me and bumming around with Amar. And not complaining that your day was uninteresting, (well it certainly wasn't uninteresting when we were ransacking Amar's room and having banana leaf lunch with Soha) although it couldn't possibly have done any justice to the rates you are paying to stay in KL! (Next time, honestly... either my place or Amar's for free! Who stays in a hotel when you have friends right here?). And thanks, honey, for telling me where my priorities should be. And it's right here, at home.