Saturday, July 10, 2004

Just put down Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. Very gripping tale of crime, trickery and lesbianism. Er... yes, I now realise Sarah Waters is a lesbian writer, but an extremely talented story teller. Her depiction of London in the mid 1800s is so real... as she runs familiar names past you - Hammersmith, Charing Cross, Picadilly - and yet paints it in different colours and makes it a completely different place! London, the warm, close-knit world of theives, pit against the cold, gloomy, country side mansion at Briar. But I think I might have liked it a little better had the two female protagonists not gone down on each other. Oh, come on... you guys go read a gay novel and tell me if you don't get goosebumps!

Oh and by the way, I start work on Monday at SPLASH - a subsidiary of GAMUDA. And of all my biggest worries... I have no working shoes!!!