Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Posts that bore everyone to tears should be made a criminal offence

Strangely enough, I'd be guilty of it most of the time.

I'm multitasking avoiding reading up more on interest rates and oil/information pricing because it's starting to confuse me and blogging instead. Hugo suggested it anyway. The blogging I mean. I am really very bored right now. There isn't a single person in the lab that I have the liberty of disturbing and annoying the hell out of. Woe is me.

Ironically, everyone (not in Imperial) seems to think I'm very free an gallivanting around London and Europe. Even my mother seems to think so. The fact that I sms her everyday saying "No, I can't call home now. I'm doing project work in college" doesn't seem to register.

I'm making a desperate attempt to revive my dying dormant blog. But I don't have anything interesting to say. Except that any Friendster testimonials written by me on Wei Kiat or Chien Liq's profiles are completely fabricated and a result of stupidly leaving my account open on Wei Kiat's terminal. There, Wei Kiat! I just increased your Friendster traffic. Happy??

Moving on to current affairs:
1) Da Vinci Code was so dissapointing and even as a Catholic there were times I wanted to strangle Tom Hanks and scream "Enough with the politically correct bullshit!!!"... aah, that was nice to get off my chest.

2) X-Men 3 is a nice watch if you're not a loyal geek comic book fan. Wolverine basked in all 100 and 5 minutes of glorious adamantium screentime! Cyclops got a measly 5 minutes to look broody and drunk. That made Lionel sulk like a 2 year old. No one said he wasn't a loyal geek comic book fan.

End of current affairs.

Did you really think I was going to discuss the Java earthquake or Sarawak elections?

I'm tired. My comment box has been spammed with articles about racial discrimination in Malaysia and reading it makes me feel even more tired. There's no question about whether it exists or not. Of course it exists. We'd be living in denial not to notice it. And you know what? It exists everywhere. In all my years of living in different countries, I've been a minority and an outcast in all of them. But you deal with it, and move on IN SPITE of it. You don't (and NEVER) bow down to it. You find a way around it, and prove how ridiculous and needless racial discrimination really is. The question now is, when is the right time for Malaysia to deal with affirmative action and bumi rights, and how are they going to do it? Most would say the answer is NOW and IMMEDIATELY. I'm not sure. I'm not the one in charge. I'm not the one who will have rights and crutches taken away from me. Nor will I be the one who'll reap any outright short term benefits.

The Malaysian Higher Education minister came to Imperial last week. He's quite a nice guy. At least more sincere and honest than Najib was. He didn't have the air of a politician which is refreshing. I wish we had more people like him who said what they really felt and not what they think needs to be said to increase their polls. I do wish he had done his research before meeting with our Rector though. It clearly looks shoddy, stepping onto Imperial grounds and saying "Oh, but Imperial College students don't do business, right?" when you're standing in the foyer of Imperial's Tanaka Business School (ranked 8th in UK by the Financial Times and 47th in the world).

Lionel's FINALLY decided to pry himself away from his lab and his infected mice. Yay! I'm going home to cook rendang. Is anyone interested in a Satay party this Sunday?