Saturday, May 06, 2006

Malaysia is an Islamic state! If you don't like it, get out!

This is not a post. This is a plug.

For my country which is trying to control what people wear and how they act. For my country that deems hugging to be 'Un-Malaysian' and arrests couples for kissing and holding hands. For my country that gives unwarranted priveledges to a particular race and yet is not done spoon feeding them while the minority struggle on their own, and are abused when they try and speak up by a large 'playground bullying' mentality. For my country where racial unity is slowly becoming a ridiculous joke and a cover up. For my country that is still trying to define the term 'Islam Hadhiri' and maintains that it is an Islamic state.



Full English transcript here. Thanks to Advocate, Sang Harimau and The Cicak.

On a more personal note, it really hurts when they say things like that. I don't feel a venomous hatred towards them. I feel betrayed. I am a hundred thousand km away, trying to be a little ambassador for my country. We've worked hard in bringing Malaysians together in Imperial, we've all been beaten to the ground trying to show off the colourful melting pot that is our country. Have you seen the heartfelt warmth and sincerity of Imperial Malaysians toiling together to sell our batik and teh tarik during our annual Pasar Malam sales? Have you seen the incredible togetherness a meritocratic university environment brings out? It's amazing here, when you know for certain that a particular race cannot get extra marks on their exams just because they are the majority. When everyone is on a level playing field the harmony is sincere and not a force-fed 'muhibbah-ness'. And when I've tried at every opportunity to show how wonderful our little 3rd world nation is - to be told to get out of the country if we don't like the idea of an Islamic state (i.e. if we can't follow the rules they've set to govern OUR morality as non-muslims)... it hurts. It truly does.