Monday, May 08, 2006

Biology 101

I'm not sure that I really like the serious atmosphere hanging around my blog these days, so I'm going to give an update. Xiaokai can call me a scum, I'm not gonna care.


6 papers have gone. 3 more to go. I crashed after the last paper on Thursday (comms systems, which apparently was a bloody massacre... I couldn't tell, I was doing the paper in a stupor) and slept all the way until Friday morning. I had huge, HUGE, sleep debts to pay. That's what I get for not starting my revision plans earlier and only discovering lecture notes on public switching telephone networks the day before the exam. I'm a brilliant last minute mugger. Nothing enters my head unless it's done in a panic stricken, last minute moment... with a caffeine IV drip on my arm. Clearly, I've never learnt my lesson since secondary school. I'm currently getting flashbacks of Anushia and Choo staring at me in bewilderment as they are about to begin their 2nd or 3rd round of History revision while my textbook remains untouched, un-underlined and un-highlighted.


I think I've been much too relaxed this weekend. This week's papers are a slaughterhouse of DSP, Databases and Control Engineering. But instead of mugging FIR filters, I've been tuned to American Idol and CSI. Oh! Oh! Joke of the week - so we're all gathered around the TV watching CSI New York, (the housemates and Lu's older sister), and some small eggs were found inside the victim's ear (I know... ewww), so the CSI's decide to incubate it to find out what laid them. Lionel, Lu and I were guessing spiders or roaches or such, when Lu's sister very seriously says maybe they'll hatch rats. *silence in the living room* After she leaves the room, Lionel the bio-chemist bursts out at the abomination and I say maybe she never studied biology. Lu just eyes the ceiling.

And the joke just seems to live on at every opportune moment (more so since the state of the kitchen is incredibly filthy, by my standards and Lionel's FYP which deals with infected rats):

"Why's the rice pot on the floor? Feeding Kitchen God, is it?"
"No lah, feeding the rats. After they hatch from the eggs"

"Oi! Look at this mess! You want to attract rats ar?"
"Yeah, after they hatch."

"So we're going to harvest the intestines from the rats to test for the nematods"
"Oh! Can I come into the labs to see the rats?"
"No! They have to be kept in the animal house... where they are hatched from eggs"



It's almost mid morning. And it's rainy. I guess I won't be going in to the level 5 labs today then. I'll just hide under my duvet and read up on non-linear control systems.

By the way, I've agreed to go to Alton Towers after the exams. Yes, my motion sickness and I have agreed to go. Well someone's got to carry their bags and popcorn and drinks while they're on Nemesis and Ripsaw, etc.