Thursday, September 22, 2005

Superpower, my foot!

It really isn't enough with a bumbling President, the atrocities of the war in Iraq, the need to pretend that global warming isn't really all that bad, and the inexcusable lack of support in the face of a hurricane - 3rd world treatment for a 1st world self empowered nation, now they need to give me another reason to believe that America is a bitterly cruel cruel country.

They rejected my US visa application and wasted my rm380 on a 5 minute interview which managed to discern that I did not show enough social ties in Malaysia. Why? Because I have spent 2 years abroad in the UK, if I may quote the interviewer. (If ANYONE brings up the 'SINGAPOREAN' jokes again and finds it funny, well I don't! Alright! 2 years spent in Singapore has never made me a traitor to my own country, and don't give me bull because I know my Malaysian history and politics better than most of you do!)

So my scholarship letter from Gamuda, which I am incidentally bonded to for 5 years, does not prove that I have social ties in my own country which I have only lived in for say, 18 years?? An official letter from my father's government office vouching my US trip was refused, and yet they wanted me to prove that I had social ties in Malaysia? And how am I supposed to accept the explanation that my two years away from Malaysia studying abroad has resulted in a loss of social ties with my own country? That is NOT a valid reason!

Superpower? Not so much Superman as the THING, and no one ever said he was very smart!