Friday, January 31, 2003

Chinese New Year eve. What does that bring to mind? Reunion dinners, really good chinese food, family feuds and angpows. But not this year. Is tradition really meaningful anymore? I like to think of myself as traditional and conformist... yet I don't know that I really miss the lack of tradition this year. That doesn't by any chance mean I'm losing my roots nor becoming distant from my extended family. It's really puzzling. I don't even know what I'm grousing about. Here's the poem

Don’t chase those who’ve chased you away
Don’t turn back on the one’s who’ve
Turned their back on you, turn away
Let go of the one’s who left you
But hold on to the only one who loves you

Hold on to the one who loves you
Hold on to the one who cares for you
Hold on if you know his heart is true
Hold on, don’t let go
And let him know
That you love him to


I must have written this for someone, and as usual never told them about it. I think I’m a pretty good listener, because I only know how to listen. Advice is a completely different skill altogether. I’m also pretty bad at comforting. But I do know how to keep quiet and listen. Is that good enough?