Sunday, January 26, 2003

I suppose it would be unfair of me to not justify the emergence of this blog. So go grab some popcorn and some cushions and while you’re at it, could you make me a cup of hot cocoa too? No? Oh well, it was worth a try.

I started weaving my thoughts into verse when I was 13, the beginning of that tumultous age they call teenhood. Since then I’ve morphed into many different people, but I kept on writing my poems. Whenever pensive or melancholic, I’d grab the many scraps of paper lying around and write what ever came to mind. Words, in a strange way too, always managed to intrude on my mind at the most inconvenient times, and wrangle a rhyme out of me, such that I’d find myself scribbling poems during exams, in the midst of doing homework, sometimes even while at prefect duty (I obviously wasn’t a prefect for very long).

But the best times for poetry were late in the night, when the world drifts into slumber and you feel like you’re the only person breathing, thinking… writing your thoughts down before the night breeze catches them and they’re lost forever in Midnight’s clutches.

I kind of stopped writing when I moved to Singapore. It’s all your fault, Greg! You took up so much of my time and my mind! I haven’t felt the need to pen down my emotions since then, and the pages of my diary are now vacant expressions with no owner. Maybe I’ll pick up my pen and write again some day, when I’m once again alone with my thoughts, where the world seems too big a place for a small soul like me.

Till then, I’ll try to record my poems in this blog everyday, because I don’t trust myself nor my untidy room to secure my scraps of papers with my thoughts in them. And then I’ll lock them up in here and finally throw away the key to my past. It’s not that I didn’t have a happy one, I just don’t really like looking back. If you have found me, well, there’s no need to spread the word about my precious treasure trove here. We’ll keep it between you and me, okay?