Thursday, February 06, 2003

Recently I’ve been reading a lot of blogs by my friends, and I’ve been thinking about the pros and cons of making this blog public instead of private. Considering that I’ve told no one about this blog and that I am an exhibitionist in public, yet retaining my own thoughts in private, do I really want to be scrutinised by the whole world?
Yes, owning a public blog is rather exhibitionist, like being on reality tv, allowing any ali, ah beng and arumugam to invade your life. And I do admit that I like attention, I dress up for it, I fish for compliments and I pull in my PR skills to steal the lime light. But at the same time, as I’ve told Greg, it is quite exhausting. And I’m afraid I will get tired of keeping up a public blog and preserving a public image in this blog and thus this blog will cease to function as it should.
My counter argument is that, I want to really know what people think of my poems. Have I just disillusioned myself all this while, thinking what I’ve written can really pass off for poetry? Are my poems all words and no soul? I want to hear different opinions on my poems. So far not many people have seen them, save the ones that were printed in the Sri Aman yearbook (2000) and Jason (who was so encouraging). And maybe if I get some feedback on what I’ve written I might understand why I stopped writing and pick up my pen and brush the dust off my diary.
Many people have told me that I have a knack for writing. But I just can’t seem to see it. All this seems so mundane, yet my friends tell me to keep up writing my funny emails. They aren’t even half as hilarious as Sachpal’s! Am I really cut out for this?

Here’s today’s poem:


Don’t try to escape the competition
Let’s end it here through and through
Lay out your cards
I’ll play me part
Declare the winner, either me or you

No Draws
No Stale mates
No Backing out
It’s either me or you



I signed this poem off with the words ‘Dead end road’. I don’t know why. I must have been very pissed at someone. I think it was you! Liar, liar, liar!