Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I haven't really got anything interesting to say

That's normal for me, and even more so during exam study periods.

I called up Vidal Sassoon's Academy out of desperation this morning. My hair has outgrown its former straight sleek self and is now resembling a shaggy carpet with split ends. My days of not knowing where my hair brush is, are over.

A bored drawl picked up the phone and I said, "Is this where I book an appointment for a haircut?".
"April 18th", answered the drawl.
"Erm, are you saying April 18th is the earliest date you've got?" (I get a little thrown off when people don't answer my questions directly).
"Yes. 1pm... no, 3pm"
"Alright so I'll take April 18th at 3pm" (Although it's not like they were giving me several choices to begin with!)
"Okaay. We'll see you then." *click*

This had better be worth all my 5 pounds and tube fare.

With regards to studying, things are coming along just peachy. I have (hopefully) stopped making so many mathematical faux pas and can now move on to the advanced stuff like proper engineering concepts because I now know that:

1) The square of root(-1) is NOT 1.
My proof to Lionel (the biochemist) that :

root(a) x root(b) = root(ab)
and therefore root(-1) x root(-1) = root(1) = 1
only held water for about 5 minutes. Moments later Lionel walked back into the room and showed me how the square of root(-1) really and truly is -1. I think we ought to swap degrees.

and

2) Always simplify partial fractions
When dealing with partial fractions, it helps to remember how to use the cover up rule and not blindly sub in numbers. In addition it is always best to look at the numerator and think about simplifying it further before proceeding to over create variables without enough simultaneous equations to solve them all!!

Now on to digital FIR filters. I shall pretend they make me happy.