Monday, April 10, 2006

I <3 Yasmin Ahmad



I was surfing around for advertisements directed by Yasmin Ahmad, when I came across this year's Petronas ad for Chinese New Year. (psst... I'm really sorry if you don't understand Hokkien and well, for some of you the Malay subtitles won't be of any use either. I'll explain it another time.)

I really, really like this ad. It reminds me of a grandmother I never had. It also reminds me of a whole part of my own heritage I am missing out on. You see, the only Hokkien part of me is my surname and the only other attachment I have to the dialect is that I was brought up by a Hokkien nanny who taught me to speak Cantonese. And I don't even speak it well!

The Cantonese immersion program has begun, with one episode of a Hong Kong series Lu probably downloaded by accident. I will have to submerge myself fully into it the moment exams end.

In other news, Virgin is having a superb sale and I now own 4 new DVDs. Brilliant timing. I got some soppy flicks which included Steel Magnolias and also The Choirboys. I've hidden them behind the stairs in an attempt to remove them from my line of sight.

MPH is also having a sale. I've put 4 books into my cart and thankfully they'll be delivered to my little house in PJ so I can't read them until I go home anyway.

I need to concentrate on my notes and stop singing to Starlight Express.