Monday, March 20, 2006

Ich spreche keine Deutsche and the misfortunes of taking on a fourth (fifth?) language

Hilft mir!

I'm not sure German is taking to me as much as I'm taking to it. Which isn't much to begin with.

Currently I'm memorising lists of adjectival endings (and muddling them up in the process) and I'm just sick and tired of dissecting a language into objects, subjects, imperfect, dative, genitive... when did language become a science? Definite article + adjective + noun (plural or singular?). It's a freakish form of math and this engineer needs to get use to it before Thursday's oral and written exam.

I've taken English grammar way too much for granted (Malay grammar on the other hand has hardly any use other than sitting for SPM/GCSE). Tenses and sentence structures that come so easily to me in English are like a major disability in German - and that's just written German.

I foresee myself staring blankly at the oral examiner on Thursday. "Wie bitte? Ich verstehe nicht. Bitte wiederholen Sie die Frage?" (repeat while(true) )