Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Into Two Thousand and Six

It's hard to keep up with this blog. But I'll try my very best after spending a very busy day cooking a teriyaki beef don lunch and lounging around in the living room watching episodes of Frasier on TV. I love to savour my bouts of inactivity. I don't get enough of them.

Yesterday Lionel and I spent almost the entire day on the couch in our PJs watching back to back episodes of Little Britain. Yeah but no but yea but...Shaddup! Amar can vouch for it. He was the only person who had taken a bath by noon - a real surprise that was!

The last few days of 2005 weren't anything spectacular if it wasn't for Kim spending 2 days with the folks at Longridge Road. I bet she believes my house to be down right mad and that we do alot of laundry! (I'm just done with the last load of post New York laundry and this weeks clothes are just glaring at me, begging to be washed!)

We finally gave our first house party on New Year's Eve. Yes, everyone's been waiting to see our flat for quite awhile. And no one is to tell Rich Arckless that I once again committed the crime of not inviting him to one of my 'Malaysian' parties. I would have, if I wasn't deathly afraid of the neighbours complaining of the commotion coming from the fifty noisy kids in flat 2. It doesn't help that my neighbours give us that 'Oh, you're Asian!' look and you can almost see them cringing at the idea of illegal Chinese immigrants harbouring rats and ajinomoto. Oh, and that's why I didn't tell any of my coursemates about the party either. Oops! I'll bake cookies when term starts. I promise! And make spring rolls?

Anyway back to the party. The popiah (unfried spring rolls) was a success! I almost whooped for joy when I could see the bottom of the bowl of joo hoo char (turnip and carrot mixed veg thing) by 9.30pm, and then my good hostess persona kicked in and I freaked out about not having enough food. Thank goodness for the overflowing bowls of rojak (Malaysian fruit salad with prawn paste dressing) and the Tiramisu I made the night before just because I could. The Tiramisu recipe is of course accredited to Darwin the ISE Tai Kor (big brother - colloqially: Chinese Mafia boss) without whom I could not gloat at the many many compliments I received (and that's not just for my Tiramisu!)

Amar of course lived up to the position of drink marshall with a free flow of Pimms and lychee screwdrivers (with real lychee bits from Fulham market) throughout the night. I'll give him points for trying to get me drunk, but it didn't work and would have been too expensive and no one else would have gotten any drinks. I must say drinking sure saves my having to put on any make-up though.

It was really great to be able to see CL and Tock and Nicole and Wei Kiat and Soha and well, everyone again! You sure miss out on so much gossip when you're travelling around the US! And it was great that Kim and her friend Emily could join us. And of course Fidel had to grace the occasion with a brand new haircut! You go, Fidzy!! I can't believe how long Kim and I went on telling Fidel about our Odac days. We even brought out old photos, photos I hadn't seen for half a year, photos I'd forgotten about! Reliving the memories was exhilarating! I didn't realise how much I'd washed out of my memory after just 3 years!

Anyway, it was much too cold to make our way down to the London Eye to watch fireworks, and besides the panaromic view displayed on our tv was just perfect. Tock's confetti popper things added just the right touch as well and we ushered in the new year on that note and snuggled into a warm night under our duvets.

Except for Amar. We forgot to give him a blanket as he froze on the sofabed.