Thursday, June 23, 2005

All dressed in white

The Woman in White is really a very delightful, (slightly heartstrings-tugging) musical. Its everything I didn't expect, which leaves little to say because I really went to watch it without any expectations. It's no morbid ghost story - not even the slightest bit close to Woman in Black (and certainly not the sequel to it, which caused much hilarious laughter today). It's no typical Andrew Lloyd Webber, and that's something! The music is more epic musical than Lloyd Webber's crazy contemporary with liberal doses of chromatics and atonal scales. It's no truly happy ending love story (but that would have made it so passe wouldn't it?). In fact it's more of a 'New Woman' genre and most of it echoes of Charlotte Perkin-Gilman's 'The Yellow Wallpaper'... all the 'hysteria' and "I know best, I'm a doctor" and "don't confuse your pretty head with all these details". Ooh, and the good-guy male lead is yummilicious (see here!).

It was really just a lovely musical to sit back to and relax, if only I wasn't worrying about how to segment speech signals at the back of my mind.

And it was great meeting up with some MSoc people again. I just realised today how much I'm going to miss them over the summer. Don't even know if I'll make it for the Fresher's camp. And what happen to our plans for a road trip this summer? Things change so much over the course of one year. People and places and activities and friends.

Need to figure out how I'm going to earn enough money to pay off my rent for the summer. Anyone needs a henna tattoo job?