Monday, May 30, 2005

Lu si hokkien lang boh??

Well, technically I am half hokkien. My dad's side still retains all the nuances of what I call the brash, rougue-ish hokkien syndrome. My amah when I was a kid was hokkien, and whatever hokkien I picked up was from listening to her speak it to the other amahs around the block. Of course she didn't speak hokkien in the house. Not around my mother, a daughter of a respectable cantonese family. As the saying goes, in a cantonese house a Hokkien is not a person. They're lang.

How my mum got away bringing us kids up to speak more Cantonese than Hokkien right under the nose of my proudly Hokkien father still amazes me.

Which anyway, brings me to this
Wa Si Hokkien Lang
I can't understand most of it, but it's funny all the same. How can hokkien sound so unbelievably rude and funny at the same time?

ps: The link is courtesy of Tock: The Paratocks