Monday, September 22, 2003

"We live as three beings in one, as does the mind, body and soul, so does the Father, Son and Holy Ghost"

I've come to realise what power the mind and soul has over the body. One February morning 2 years ago I woke up with an intense pain in my abdomen. I remember practically crawling down the 3 flights of stairs to the Eton Hall dining hall for breakfast, and then things got abit blurry. There was a flurry of people telling me not to go to school... someone called the matron... and most poignant of all I remember Anthony telling me that I could not possibly even think of going for my first ODAC Basic Training Camp which was that very day! I was rushed to the polyclinic only to be told by the doctor that I had a viral gastric flu, a nasty little thing that had been making its rounds. I protested to the doctor that I had been eating right (actually eating more than necessary) and I had been exercising tons (think: PT! PT! PT!) and he grinned and told me not to rule out emotional stress! And he was right! I was emotionally and mentally freaked out about BTC. I was so afraid of not being able to survive BTC that it could have been possible that I had made myself sick. (Losing my student card and stuff had NOTHING to do with my emotional stability at that time!)

Last night I recognised the signs of viral gastric flu again. As I tossed and turned in bad trying to coax the pain away, I started to wonder if I am either a) very susceptible to viral gastric flu since this is the third time it has happen or b) scared to death of the new life I'm about to become a part of in just a few days.

I said this before I left for Singapore and everyone laughed, but nothing has changed:

"I'm scared of meeting new people! Really, I am! I'm afraid they won't like me. I'm afraid I won't fit in! I'm afraid I'll fall short of expectations! I'm afraid of not finding good friends! I'm afraid of being left out and I'm afraid of the person I might become!"

But 4 years from now, I want to be able to look back and say that it was a great adventure. Mind over matter...