Tuesday, September 16, 2003

I'm so bored, I'm gonna answer friday fives in the wee hours of wednesday morning!

1. Is the name you have now the same name that's on your birth certificate? If not, what's changed?
I assume it's the same. God forbid there should be an extra L or a T less somewhere. But it doesn't really matter how my name is spelt does it? Malaysian Ignoramuses will still screw it up!

2. If you could change your name (first, middle and/or last), what would it be?
I'd change my first name! Till now I cannot understand why anyone in their right mind would name their kid Charlotte! It's odd (well, in Malaysia it is), unfeminine and completely unromantic! If I had a choice I'd have a simple, no fuss name, that is pronounced the way it's spelt! But I have to admit, I do love my name when it becomes a good conversation piece (people sometimes take up to 10 minutes trying to get my name right) and when teachers avoid calling on me in class because its embarassing not being able to pronounce my name!
I like my surname though. It's rare! And it's a funny name. I like my Chinese name. I usually get less "Say your name again, can?" when I introduce myself as Shu Chen.

3. Why were you named what you were? (Is there a story behind it? Who specifically was responsible for naming you?)
I am NOT named after the basketball team. I was named after the English author, Charlotte Bronte in the hope that I would evolve into the strong willed and determined heroines in all her books. I'm utterly convinced that they all led bitter, depressing lives full of unrequited love (except at the end which always has some happy but tragic conclusion).

4. Are there any names you really hate or love? What are they and why?
*cough* Any names I hate? *cough* That would be politically incorrect of me. Names I love? If you're a nice person I like your name (unless you are xiaokai).

5. Is the analysis of your name at kabalarians.com / triggur.org / astroexpert accurate? How or how isn't it?
No it isn't. And it sucks!


Speaking of names, this reminds me of a really hilarious story I heard. You see, in the old days, when a child was born in a kampung, naturally the parents would go to the Birth Registry to obtain the oh-so-important birth certificate. They would tell the counter guy the kid's carefully chosen name and the counter guy would write it down and do the necessary slow official procedures. Well, a friend of my friend's friend (we all have one of those, don't we?) was given the name Burunthiran by his proud parents. Being the responsible parents they were, they went to the Birth registry to record the birth of one more Malaysian... and in that joyous occasion, the counter guy printed the name Bulan Terang (Bright Moon) on the kid's birth certificate! Now it'd have been an awfully poetic name, if the poor Indian kid didn't happen to be as dark as night! (Must be related to Jere!).

--------------------------------------------

Countdown t = 8 days
Weight of baggage is now equivalent to that of baby elephant!