Wednesday, September 10, 2003

I'm back. Back from the land that produced Asam Laksa. God bless Penang!

Everytime I go back to Penang, I feel like I've just stepped 20 years back in time. The whole illusion is assisted by the fact that I stay in my grandparent's old mansion which has a main facade that hasn't changed since colonial times. Trishaw pullers still try to run you over when you step out of your gates into the chaotic 'pasar' that is Georgetown. I like the fact that the roads still have names like Cantonment Road or Vermont Road or Bangkok Lane, like each one has a story to tell unlike the impersonal 'Jalan SS3/88' and so on. I find it so cute that they still use manual parking ticket systems (i.e. parking attendants with the carbon copy tickets) and that their newest shopping malls are comparable to Sungai Wang Plaza and don't have directories on every floor.

I think this is what happens when Cosmopolitan KL girls travel out of the city.