Saturday, May 26, 2007

Things I wonder if I'll regret about uni life

That I never studied in the IC library. Sure I borrowed books and used the computers there when I had no internet. But I never went to the library specifically to study. I hated the atmosphere of despair and desperation of the last minute muggers and sixth cup of espresso chuggers. Where did I study? My bed of course! But that's one uni experience I never was a part of.

That I never joined the clubs I really wanted to. Like Leonardo or MT or even fellwanderers. I did the Dramsoc stint for abit, am in more committees than I would wish to be in, ran two of the biggest cultural shows in IC, and yet I wish I'd done a bit more stuff out of my league. But I've been skema and didn't dare. I don't know why I gave up rock climbing. I wasn't good, but I wasn't bad and now it's been 4 years since I last touched a rockwall. Damn it.

That I didn't really get to know my coursemates in the first year. My first year is a blur of Linstead and a bit of Mnite memories, and nothing of my coursemates and the friends I hang out with now. I wish I hadn't ditched those ISE outings, I wish I had made friends with CL and XQ and Wei earlier (especially XQ who would have been a great help for courseworks), wish I remembered more of my first year than just being in Linstead. Although I wouldn't give up those crazy Linstead memories for the world!

That I never went on the Engineers without Borders programme to help some third world country build a power station, although my mum would say I should just come back to Malaysia because we are a third world country too. I can't build a power station anyway. I could help to program a communications satellite though. But what third world country needs that?


That I didn't do a 3 year course and leave with the rest. But it was fun to hang around for a fourth year and get my masters for doing almost nothing.

That we never went on a road trip. Whether in the UK or back home. We talked about it and never did it. Because we were never in the same place at the same time for long enough.

That I never developed a polished British accent. But that's just crazy talk.

That I've never been to Greece. I've been to lots of places, but I want to go to Greece! Enough said.


And the many many things I didn't get to do... because 4 years of university life isn't enough time.