Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Asian Film Fest

So one of the wardens has decided that he will film a foreign film every week. It must be of high artistic quality (a Cannes candidate if possible) and original and powerful in its mastery of cinematography. In other words there probably will not be a single Asian movie on the list, unless it's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (I never got the ending, just like I didn't get House of Flying Daggers, but don't get me wrong - I loved watching it!).

Being the protector of all things Asian in my hall, I'm coming up with my own list of movies.

So far my list includes:

1. Raise the Red Lantern
2. Hero (I liked it, ok!!!)
3. The Road Home
4. Devdas
5. Swades
6. Asoka
7. The Soong Sisters
8. Children of Heaven
9. Farewell my Concubine
10. The Wedding Banquet
11. Monsoon Wedding
12. Zatoichi
13. The Way Home
14. Salaam Bombay


And of course we have to have the all-too-popular Kungfu Hustle. I'm not too sure of its artistic quality, but it's one hell of a good laugh!

Any other suggestions? I know there aren't any Malaysian selections in the list, but how well received will Sepet or Puteri Gunung Ledang be here? I'm just asking.