Sunday, June 04, 2006

Blessed are Daddy's girls

I've never been much of a daddy's girl. Instead I'm my mum's number one staunch supporter and blame her for everything I am. It's strange that way.

When I was 8, daddy taught me to draw still life orchids, ride a bike and wanted me to be a novelist. Mummy caned me for coming out 5th (out of 45!!!) in class. Draw your own conclusions.

Disjointed thoughts ahead.

--------

I live to impress my parents. But my dad isn't too concerned with the little things I deem successful. I took him for a tour around the top science college in the UK. He asked why the buildings were so modern and ugly. I wanted to show him our superb labs and plasma screen TVs in EEE. He spent more time carefully observing the ugly statue in the EEE foyer. I tried to persuade him to drive past all of London with the little time he had left. He just wanted to stroll down Bayswater Road so he could choose a painting for my room.

--------

The London my dad left 23 years ago hasn't changed at all for him. As we were walking down Bayswater Road, where the artists have displayed their wares in the sunshine...
"Daddy, don't we have that one at home?"
I whip around and find my dad saying to the artist, "Alex? How long have you been here! You remember my wife? She bought your paintings in the 70s. Yes, we still have 3 of yours hanging at home"

My dad has no trouble navigating through the little alleys of London town and very confidently navigated the Londoners to Katherine Docks and back again. My dad knows the entire stretch from St. John's Wood to Westminster like the back of his hand. I get lost walking from North End Road to Fulham Broadway.

--------

When you don't see your parents for really long spells, they always look older. Cancer added years to my dad. But 9 months away from home has deepened the wrinkles, and slowed his gait. Painful to watch? Almost heartbreaking to realise. My mother seems to be all skin and bones everytime I return home. But my parents are made of steel. How long more will I go on believing that?

--------

When you think 23 is much too old for you parents to embarass you...

... your dad walks right up to a convertible BMW with its young, lady driver still in it, and exclaims what a nice car it is to no one in particular...

... or while you're talking to a friend you've just bumped into, your dad is asking the folks enjoying the midday sun what shisha is and why they are smoking it. Is it the new pot?

--------

Totally unrelated:
I've finally got my bank to work and I just need to clean up some stuff and do some error checking. I've also got my satay chicken marinated and I just need to clean up some stuff and do some agar-agar checking.
Isn't life glorious when you have so many things to do?