Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I love spur of the moment museum sight-seeing! Our museum of choice today was the National Art Gallery (which is currently housing Carravaggio: The Final Years). And when they say advance booking is recommended to guarantee entry, they mean it! (for Carravaggio that is, not the gallery; what self respecting UK museum has entrance fees? The Tower and Madame Tussaud's NOT inclusive, and not on my preference list either!)
Lionel and I decided some time around noon that we'd go to the National Gallery today. At about 3pm we finally detached ourselves from work and tried to get going. At about four something we made it out of the door, with Lu, Amar and Yi Shan saying he'd catch up later. At about 5pm we finally made it to the National Gallery only to find Carravaggio SOLD OUT! Like what the hell? (We're allowed to say that because on the 1st wednesday of each month the museums are opened till 9pm, but I suppose we weren't the only ones who were capitalising on this).
So, well, no Carravaggio. Instead we got to browse through (yippee!) Monet, Canaletto (my current favourite for being able to show off very detailed and very fine brush strokes), Seurat, Titian, Leornado, Michaelangelo, Raphael (yes, Yi Shan, those are the ninja turtles) and loads more.
We had to leave the museum at about 8pm, because Amar was whining, and headed over to some Japanese restaurant near Piccadilly where we stuffed ourselves on sashimi and bentos. The last time I ever felt so full was when we were guiltily indulging on Misato and gelatos with Luke! I think we grow fat everytime someone comes to London to visit.
I'm not very sure I'm studying as efficiently as I am eating and sight seeing. Double integrals - what art thou?

One year on... and still very much in love with you...
Even if we didn't make it to Belgos
And dates turn into group tours
Muaks!